The rules are simple, no cheating by using the internet to get the answers – you’re only cheating yourself as there are no
If you have friends who enjoy quizzes please feel free share the link to this page, especially if you have read my books and can therefore feel superior by getting 100%. Answers will be posted at the end of next week’s blog.
1. In which decade was construction of the Aswan Dam in Egypt commenced?
2. In my book “The Deputy Prime Minister”, for which fictitious constituency is Timothy Elgin the MP?
3. Name the co-hosts of the BBC TV game show Pointless.
4. By what name are the native people who live in Greenland, northern Canada and Alaska known?
5. In which year were the first British Commando units formed?
6. In the Bernard Cornwell series of novels about the Saxon era, what is the name of the ousted Lord of
Bebbenburg (Bamburgh) who is the hero of the series?
7. Into which regiment was the Duke of Wellington first commissioned in 1787?
8. In which year did Donald Duck make his first film appearance?
9. What is the largest living thing on earth?
10. In my book The Inconvenience Store the characters buy two objects from the eponymous store. What real life objects did they resemble?
11. Who composed the original Nokia ringtone?
12. The current Aviva Premiership Champions and Amlin Trophy holders Northampton Saints Rugby Club play their home matches at Franklin’s Gardens, but this has not always been the name of the gardens. Previously what were they called?
13. Walter Tull Way is a road in Northampton named after the Northampton Town footballer who was killed
during the First World War. For which team had he played for before signing for Northampton and which team was he going to join after the war, had he lived? *
14. The ancient ruins of Pompeii contain four triumphal arches. Two are dedicated to the emperors Tiberius and Caligula. To which emperors are the other two dedicated?
15. While on the subject of Pompeii, what are the famous mummified corpses of Pompeii made up of?
16. Which Roman emperor ordered the construction of the Coliseum?
17. What is Jesus’s real name?
18. Name a famous henge.
19. T Rex was made up of Marc Bolan and Mickey Finn, but who had Finn replaced in the band in 1970 when he left after a falling out with Bolan?
20. After the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) and the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) merged to form the Royal Air Force in 1918, how would you know if a squadron had been formed by the Navy or by the Army? *
*Answers to questions marked with a * may be found in my book “I’m So Glad You Asked Me That” and it’s not cheating to buy that book, or any iof my other books, and look the answers up.
As some questions can score more than one point the maximum score available is 24.